- After your child has completed their daily reading, ask them to tell you the main idea of what they read, and at least three details that tell more about the main idea.
- Let your child read an age/content appropriate news article of interest to them. Three good online sites are dogonews.com, timeforkids.com, and htekidsnews.com (still monitor the content though since third grade is on the young end for some material). Ask them to write down the main idea and three supporting details. Count their reading time towards their reading log.
- After your child has listened to a story or news article (or watched one on TV), ask them to tell you the main idea of what they heard. Ask them to tell you some details they heard that tell more about the main idea.
As a reminder, we have snack around 9:45 each day. Please send 1 or 2 healthy snacks with your child - enough to keep them going until lunch at 12:30. While we do have a school share box for snacks, there’s not always something in it.
Also, music is on Tuesdays. Your child should bring their recorder back to school that day, along with their music. Other days it can stay at home for practice.
New pictures will be added to our online class photo album before the end of the long weekend! You can find them on the Class Photo Albums page on our class website.
Here's what we're learning about next week:
- Reader’s Workshop: Summarizing biographies
- Writer’s Workshop: Writing information books
- Math: Fractions
- Social Studies: Connecticut
Please remember that my door is always open if you have any questions or concerns. I also check email frequently. Together we are partners in your child’s education!